Mini Vacation


I took last week off to spend time with my family and relax. I’ve been running around like a chicken without a head since my arrival and I felt it was time for a short break. I’m usually at Ankaase (location of the hospital) and do not always get to see my family. Sometimes I spend 2 -3 weeks in the village, visit my family for a weekend and then head back. This has reduced the amount of time I get to spend with them. So we were all glad to have last week to really spend time together.

With help from my dad, we were are able to afford to head to Cape Coast, about 110 miles south west of Kumasi, for 2 days during my time off. My sister (Esther) and her husband (Francis) joined my mom, my brother Francis and I on this mini vacation. 


From front center to right:  Esther (my sister), Stella (mom), Francis (in white, my sister's husband), Francis (my brother) and I (UK shirt and Cap :), go wildcats!!!)



We visited the Kakum national park (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kakum_National_Park) and the Elmina castle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmina_Castle) while on the coast. The first time I visited these locations was with Rev. Tom Wilson and his mission team. I’ve been there multiple times since and yet, it always feels like a first time each time I visit. It is always an adventure and I am thankful to Tom for bringing out the adventurous spirit in me.

 131 feet (40m) up in the trees on the canopy walkway. The ropes are changed every 6 months.


Thankfully, we were able to find an affordable beach accommodation and that was a great blessing because all we wanted was some ocean breeze and its associated scenery. Although short, it was an enjoyable and relaxing trip and we are very blessed and grateful to God for his protection and provisions. 

Elmina Castle 



Most people do not go on vacations in Ghana. Although people take annual leave (vacation) from work, most people spend the time at home (staycation) due to lack of resources to travel somewhere. Others use the time to work different jobs and make extra money. Traditionally, vacations weren’t part of the culture but as more people travel and move back to the country, that mindset is slowly changing because most people are beginning to realize the importance of rest and break from daily work.

In memory of those who passed through the Elmina Castle






 GRATITUDE

We are very grateful to the following individuals for their support of the mission hospital and the anidasowoha fund;

Richard and Marjorie Wilson
J. B. and Judy Skaggs
Meredith Skaggs and Nick Eskridge
Randy and Vicki Greenup
David and Mitzi Buchele
Members of Cloverport United Methodist Church (Cloverport, KY)
Members of Hilldale United Methodist Church (Lewisport, KY)
Rev. Tom and Teresa Wilson

We pray for God’s continued blessings on you and for him to make you prosperous in all your endeavors.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One week Medical Mission in Ankaase

Preventive Healthcare