Stateside

On Saturday November 4th I left Ghana for the United States after an emotional goodbye event at the airport with family and friends.  After almost 24 hours of flying through 3 continents and multiple time zones, I arrived in Louisville, Kentucky on Sunday November 6th around 6:30pm and was picked up from the airport by my American grandparents, Richard and Marjorie Wilson. I was so eager to see and hug them that I walked right past them as I trekked to the baggage claim area. They had to shout to get my attention. Fun times.

It’s been over 2 months since I arrived, and I’ve had a wonderful time visiting with family and friends. It’s such a blessing to have a home here in the States and in Ghana. I found it comforting when loved ones here will hug and tell me “welcome home”. In Ghana they said “akwaaba”. Time and space wouldn’t allow me to document all that has happened since I arrived, so I have highlighted some special moments below.

Marjorie masterminded the purchasing of a car to enable me to move around without a hassle. It was beautiful and amazing watching her work her magic. I was driving a “new” car less than 24 hours after I arrived. Thank you, Marjorie 😊

I had the opportunity to visit with the preachers and some members of both Cloverport (CUMC) and Hilldale United Methodist Churches. CUMC and Hilldale have been very instrumental in supporting our mission here and in Ghana. It was a blessing to visit and share with them how the Lord used their prayers and support to change lives in Ghana.

Lunch with some members of CUMC


I attended the annual Global Missions Health Conference (GMHC) in Louisville, Kentucky from November 9-11. GMHC brings medial missionaries from all over the world to worship together and share with each other how to properly reach the unreached using healthcare. It was such an amazing conference. The CEO of Methodist Faith Healing Hospital, the hospital where I served in Ghana, was also attending the conference. In addition, Dr. Gongwer, a family physician who spent over 12 years serving at that hospital was there with some members of the Dayton UMC medical team. The Dayton, IN. team embark on yearly medical missions to Ghana. Also in attendance was the director for health and sanitation for the Methodist church Ghana. One of the highlights of the conference was visiting the emergency field hospital used by Samaritan Purse’s disaster assistance response team (DART). This field hospital can be deployed to needed areas and set up in less than 11 hours with a fully functioning ICU and operating room. Everyone who visited the field hospital was awe-struck.
The field hospital was recently deployed to Kabul, Iraq to help victims of the war. Doctors and nurses working in this hospital treated both ISIS soldiers and their victims while sharing the gospel with everyone. An ISIS soldier gave his life to Christ as a result of the workers' selflessness, faithfulness and dedication. Truly amazing.






With some of the medical team members at the GMHC


I began my work for HealthSouth (Cardinal Hill) Rehabilitation Hospital in Lexington on November 20, 2017. I was fortunate that HealthSouth provided me with temporary housing in Lexington while I looked around for a permanent apartment. 

The difference between resource availability and allocation at this hospital and the one in Ankaase became very evident as I cared for patients. It is my prayer that more opportunities for resource acquisition become available for the hospital in Ankaase.

Shormeh came down from Philly and joined me and the Wilson’s for thanksgiving in Hawesville, Kentucky. I was thankful to be able to get the time off work to spend my first thanksgiving since my arrival with them. We had a great time.

Thanksgiving dinner :)


On December 2, I moved into my new apartment in Lexington. It’s been an interesting transition. It feels like I’m re-starting my life.  New car, new apartment, new items for the apartment and so on and so forth. But I’m taking it all in stride.  

On December 9, I left for an early morning meeting in South Bend, IN, about a 6- hour driving journey from Lexington.  It began snowing as I neared my destination and visibility was reduced to almost 40 yards. The roads were nice and slippery by the time I arrived in South Bend. We ended up with 7 inches of snow that day. But the meeting went on without a hitch. We discussed different strategies for an upcoming medical mission to Ghana in 2018. In attendance were Dr. Gongwer and his wife, Ann, Glen and Sue Meiser (team leaders of the Dayton UMC medical team), Enoch, Ghana Methodist health director and I. It was a humbling experience to be part of that meeting. I spent the remainder of the weekend with the Gongwers.

Shormeh and I spent Christmas with the family again in Hawesville. It’s been such a blessing to spend both thanksgiving and Christmas with family. We are thankful to God for His provisions.


With the family on Christmas day :)


As we prepare to enter a new year I am reminded of the beauty of the past year and humbled by all the things that have occurred. It’s been a wild ride and I’m looking forward to what 2018 ushers in.

Happy New Year and may the good Lord bless you as we say goodbye to 2017 and welcome 2018.


Shalom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lake side Clinic

One week Medical Mission in Ankaase